If we want to get our best sleep, we need to take care of ourselves. And when we take care of ourselves, we can’t limit this to getting food, drink, and shelter. We need to expand our minds and remember our sleep hygiene is integral in taking care of ourselves. When we improve our sleep hygiene, we improve our sleep. When we improve our sleep, we improve ourselves. There are a myriad of steps in our sleep hygiene that we need to pay attention to so that we can be at our best.
What are some sleep hygiene activities that we should be practicing?
- Watch your waistline - Eating properly will not only help you to feel better, but it will also help you to get better sleep. This means you need to keep an eye on the foods you ingest during the day to get better sleep at night.
- Be playful - Exercising is a great way to help you look and feel better, but did you know it also helps you to sleep better? Remember not to exercise too close to your bedtime as that might impede your sleep.
- Set goals - You should have a goal of 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night. Though depending on the person, this number may be higher or lower, when you get adequate sleep nightly you will notice that you feel better.
- Bask in the sunlight - Unlike vampires, people need to be in the sun. If we enjoy the sun during the day (and reversely, stay in the dark at night) this can help our circadian rhythm which can, in turn, help us to get better sleep.
- No naps - You don’t want to interrupt your sleep cycle by napping during the day. If you must, you can take shorter naps (30 minutes or less) so as not to impact your sleep later that night.
- Comfort is key - Your bedroom needs the right mattress, bed sheets, and pillows. It also needs to be kept at the right temperature while you are sleeping, which for most people is around 70 degrees or possibly cooler.
- Make it a habit - Begin a sleep habit and follow the same routine nightly. This means going to bed at night and waking up in the morning at the same time as often as possible.
Now that you know what your sleep hygiene entails, no time is better than the present to start healthy sleep habits. Once you do, you will feel well-rested. There is nothing better than feeling rested, is there?