How frustrating is it when you are exhausted, you lay down on your bed for the night, and yet you can’t fall asleep? There are a slew of reasons that sleep may have escaped you, but there are some things you can do to calm yourself so that you can fall asleep. Here are five methods that you can try to get better sleep:
- Don’t stay in bed - One of the worst things you can do when you are unable to sleep is to stay in your bed. You will wonder why you aren’t sleeping and getting your mind racing will prevent you from sleeping. When you can’t sleep, get out of bed. While our of your bed, don’t engage in anything too strenuous or thought-provoking that can stimulate you. Opt for activities such as listening to soothing music, sipping on a cup of herbal, decaffeinated tea, or reading a book using low-light.
- Temperature control - Once you are out of your bed, one of the first things you should do is ensure that your bedroom is an ideal temperature for you to sleep in. Most people prefer to sleep in the cool (around 70 degrees, though this differs for each person). If you are too hot or too cold, this could be affecting your sleep. Adjust your thermostat accordingly, if possible, or you can add or remove blankets as necessary.
- Meditate - Though you may think meditation is something you would never do, some people practice meditation without even realizing it. Meditation is the process of reflection and contemplation. Sitting in solitude and thinking about what has transpired is a form of meditation. Doing this typically has a calming effect, or can even provide you with a sense of serenity. This can be beneficial in helping you to fall asleep.
- Try breathing - There are breathing exercises that, similarly to meditation, can help to relax you and get you ready to fall asleep. One popular breathing method you can try is the 4-7-8 technique created by Dr. Andrew Weil. A benefit of utilizing structured breathing to help you sleep is no special equipment is necessary.
- Bathe away your worries - Taking a warm shower, or even a warm bath, can also be beneficial in relaxing you so that you can fall asleep. This can also benefit any sore muscles you might have as the warm water should make them feel better.
You may try one of these methods and it may not work for you, as everyone is different. Just because something works great for one person does not mean it will work as well for another. Once you try each of these methods, however, you will hopefully find the perfect solution for you to get the better sleep you need.